Thank you Laura, I'm sharing your great ideas with the listserv in this
reply.

Julie

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/3/2005 5:26 PM >>>
Can you use veteran tutors to help present the material?  Can you put
some of the information in writing and have groups of three or more
tutors read it quickly and then use a game show format to quiz the group
to verify that they got the information?  Or present scenarios and
having the tutors (in groups) use the materials (handbook or handouts,
whatever you use) to figure out what should be done.  When I do gameshow
style quizzes, I try to have some small prizes for the groups getting
the most correct answers.  I have found that local businesses will
donate gift certificates.  It's amazing what people are willing to learn
for free pizza!

Hope these ideas help.

Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of
Janice Heerspink
Sent: Fri 6/3/2005 4:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: Ideas to Revamp Tutor Orientation?

Please send to the list or include me in your response.  Jan Heerspink

Janice Heerspink
Tutor Coordinator and Academic Counselor
Student Academic Services
Calvin College
Grand Rapids, Michigan
616-526-6073
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/03/05 4:05 PM >>>
I've been using the same orientation materials for new tutors for a
few
years and I'm looking to revamp what I do. I have to cover a lot of
material in 1.5 hours: introduction to the program, tutor's role,
administration, payroll paperwork. Basically it's very dry, lecture
style as I have so much content and I admit, it's pretty boring. Any
ideas for quick and fun activities to wet potential new tutors'
appetites and still give me time to cover the admin requirements?

Thank you for any input :)

Julie Shattuck
Program Manager, Tutorial Services
Frederick Community College