We have been offering tutor training strategies for initial orientation
meetings, and I appreciate the ideas offered.  I am working on completing my
sabbatical writing on the topic of learning support.  I want to suggest to the
group that if you have not read Casazza and Silverman _Learning Assistance and
Developmental Education_, that you should.  I have done a lot of reading this
semester, and I can say that this book is a gem!  Chapter 5 is "Training the
Tutors," and is very helpful in that it provides topics and theoretical
foundations for tutoring as well as some suggested activities.  It's from
Jossey-Bass, 1996.  Jan Heerspink

Janice Heerspink
Tutor Coordinator and Academic Counselor
Student Academic Services
Calvin College
Grand Rapids, Michigan
616-526-6073