Personally, I would like to see what other people do...

We are only in our second year, but this is the approach we have taken.  We
look at the student's full admission file, look at grades, recommendations,
if the student indicates fluency in other languages, etc.  We identify
students we think might benefit from using the COMPASS/ESL.  We developed a
short list of questions and we then do a phone interview.  Not only do we
evaluate the answers to the questions, but we also evaluate the
comprehension of the question and the way the student responds and
interacts.

So far we haven't administered the COMPASS/ESL because our students have had
what we believe is enough fluency to take the regular COMPASS.  It would
depend on your student population.

Dr. Joanne C. Conlon
Director,  Student Academic Support
106 Brown Science