All politics are local, I've heard it said.  And, also, everything is
political.  How do you separate issues of learning from politics.
Alaska just placed the following statement on evolution in the K-12
Science Standards eliminating a pervious standard which failed to
address evolution.
  "A student should ... develop an understanding of how science explains
changes in life forms over time, including genetics, heredity, the
process of natural selection and biological evolution."

It was a politically charged decision yet it was an educational issue.
It seems to me that the same is true of most, if not all, of the issues
which we discuss on this list serv.

Jeanne, keep your comments coming.  We need your voice and perspective.

Ron

  Ronald D. Illingworth
  Professor
  Interior-Aleutians Campus