Who asked you not to post such messages?

If it was somebody on this listserv then they were definitely out of line,
have no authority over you, and many of us would disagree with such a
suggestion.

If it was somebody at U of M then we probably can have no effect on that
authority except to express our disgust at its use.

Bob