-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn VanWagoner
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: advising math

This is really not a developmental education issue, but I'm guessing
some of you could steer me in the right direction, so here's a question
for you.

I'm am curious about core math requirement courses across the country.
We have a lot of students who struggle to pass college algebra -- our
core math class.  We offer equivalents to college algebra -- an
introductory statistics course, and a quantitative reasoning course, but
relatively few students are enrolling in them.  I would think our
humanities students would go to quantative reasoning in droves, but they
mostly take college algebra.

I inquired with one of our campus advisors and was told that the
advisors rarely encourage students to take the quant. course because
college algebra transfers more readily.

My question is this:  how prevalent are math courses for liberal arts
students, as a substitute for the traditional college algebra core
requirement.  What is the transferability of these courses.

I appreciate any information on this topic.

Thanks,

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Director, Math Advantage Programs
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

ad-van-tage   n.  A factor conducive to success.