Thanks, the metaphors sound like a great way to advertise the program too.

Julie

>>> "Carmichael, Karen" <[log in to unmask]> 6/3/2005 6:55 PM >>>
Hi,

Rather than lecture about the tutor's role, we divide new tutors into groups of 4 and give each group a poster size sheet of paper and a marker. We ask them to leave about  of the page at the top for them to write a metaphor for tutoring and we ask them to divide the rest of the page in half (basically they're making a large letter T on the page). They are to label the halves "Tutor Role" and "Student Role". As a group they are to decide what the tutor and student responsibilities are and list them under the appropriate heading. Each group then reports to the whole group.

The tutors usually come up with great lists-all that the tutor supervisors would have mentioned in lecture format. In those instances where something is missed, the supervisor mentions it after each group has presented. A bonus to this method is that we've gotten great metaphors that we have laminated and posted on the walls of our center. Of course, we have one of our computer savvy tutors design an appropriate background using MS Publisher, Powerpoint or some other such software.

A couple of our metaphors have been:

A tutor is the light at the end of a dark tunnel.

A tutor is a cool class of water in the blazing desert.

This exercise allows the tutors to work together, get to know each other and be more active. They like this activity. I hope this helps.

Karen Carmichael, M.Ed.

Associate Director

Learning Resource Center

Loyola Marymount University