I love to know more about the Mentoring Coordinators.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deconinck, Lori
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 1:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Peer Tutoring

Hello -

I'm new to this listserve - it's terrific!  I thought I might weigh in
on this one.

At Southern New Hampshire University, we have both professional and peer
tutors.  The professionals are my staff - the Business, Writing, Math,
and Mentoring Coordinators - who work with the 'most needy' students --
those whose weaknesses exceed the time and skill level of our peer
tutors.  The peer tutors staff walk-in tutoring and also serve as 1-1
tutors and/or mentors - an example of our best 'match' is a tutee from
'Dr. Smith's statistics class with a peer tutor who not only did well in
the discipline but whom also had Dr. Smith as a professor -- in that
case, the tutor can assist with teaching style, testing style, etc., as
well as with the discipline itself.  We have a pool of tutors in each
area and several who do cross-discipline; however, if we have no tutor
available for a certain subject, we request recommendations from the
faculty and/or look at grade rosters to recruit.  We also do two-part
tutor training, the first hour being CRLA-based and the second hour
applying the CRLA topic to the discipline.  In that way, we've been able
to build a 'community' of tutors/mentors with allegiance to both the
Learning Center and their coordinator.  Although the pay is lousy, these
tutors/mentors speak well of their experiences -- and keep coming back!

Lori DeConinck
Director/The Learning Center
Southern New Hampshire University