(412) 648-7142

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeanne Higbee
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 2:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: General College

Hello, Everyone!

In April I was asked not to post any "political" messages about the
General College (GC) to this listserv. In compliance with that request,
I am providing only the basic information pertinent to the fate of GC
below, and I will then again be unsubscribing from this listserv.

On Friday, June 10th, the Board of Regents of the University of
Minnesota voted 11 to 1 to accept President Bruininks' strategic
planning recommendations in order to make the University of Minnesota
"one of the top three public research universities in the world." Among
those recommendations was the closing of GC.

GC's last freshman class has already been admitted for fall 2005. Over
the coming 2 or 3 years, portions of GC will be retained as a department
in the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human
Development. The fate of programs like the Center for Research on
Developmental Education and Urban Literacy (CRDEUL) is currently
unknown. Within the next several weeks, task forces will be established
to engage in further planning. The task forces' reports and
recommendations will be due December 10, 2005.

Dean David Taylor has accepted the position of Vice President for
Academic Affairs at Morehouse in Atlanta beginning August 1, 2005.

The first faculty member to submit a resignation was Carl Chung, whose
work on theoretical perspectives for developmental education, including
his recent article in the Journal of Developmental Education, was the
topic of discussion on this list in spring 2005. The article that Carl
and I co-authored on the theory crisis has been accepted for publication
in an upcoming issue of Research and Teaching in Developmental
Education. Carl, who was due to come up for tenure at the University of
Minnesota next year, has accepted a teaching position in philosophy at
Century College. I am sure that the profession of developmental
education will miss Carl's many contributions.

Thank you to those of you who wrote letters and sent e-mails in support
of GC.

Jeanne Higbee

To unsubscribe,send a message to [log in to unmask] In body type:
SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

To subscribe, send email to [log in to unmask] Leave subject
blank.In body type: subscribe LRNASST-L

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L