-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Neal Lerner
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 4:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Peer Tutoring/Peer Mentoring

I find the talk of whether this list is appropriate for "political"
discussions a fascinating contrast to the frequent for-profit pitches
that appear on this list, such as the one below. It's been my experience
that most discussion lists frown on commercial providers capitalizing on
the free advertising that can be gained from such posting. Certainly,
it's a matter of community standards; if members of this list have no
problem with such solicitations, fine and dandy.
But such a stance has its own political implications, too.

fwiw,

Neal Lerner

>Colleagues,
>
>Training of peer tutors and peer mentors in both the proven strategies
>of tutoring and the "HOW TO" of study organization and learning has
>been built into two proven and time-tested curricula that are available

>in nationally circulated publications.
>
>For a step-by-step and researched-based approach for tutor training
>see
>  The Master Tutor: A Guidebook for More Effective Tutoring including
>the pre/post
>  test The TESAT and The Online eMaster Tutor Training
>Course.(English/Spanish)
>
>For training tutors and mentors in assisting students in all content
>areas to improve study, learning, organization and other proven
>strategies, see the 10 Hour Academic Success Seminar text, Ten Tips for

>Academic Success.
>(English/Spanish)
>
>Regarding readmit and those on probation, the 10 Hour Seminar text
>proves a valuable intervention medium for deans planning to require
>registration  as a condition for continuance.  Mentors/tutors are often

>invited to  attend as a means of training them and reinforcing their
>support to the students they serve.
>
>Each curriculum is well-structured, timed, and provides detailed
>instructor's lessons to aid all in teaching/training.  Each curriculum
>maintains consistency of instruction, year after year, regardless who
>teaches. Additionally, both  can be offered for noncredit or credit
>bearing courses.
>
>I hope this assists with some of the concerns expressed about tutor and

>mentor training.
>If I can assist anyone further, kindly email or call directly.
Further