I've shared this idea before, but I think it's worth repeating.

My favorite orientation activity is called "Advice for the new guys."   All tutors -- veteran and rookie -- attend fall orientation.  We spend about 45 minutes giving each veteran tutor a minute to share his or her favorite piece of advice on being a tutor in our lab.  I pipe in on occasion to enhance, clarify, etc.  Without much help on my part, they naturally cover the basics of the job.  By the nature of their personalities, I can count on certain tutors to keep things light and entertaining and others to focus on the serious stuff.  The best part is that I don't have to do all the talking.

I stumbled on to this activity years ago, and it is fresh and new every year.

Kathy

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/06/05 6:35 AM >>>
Please send replies to the list -- I'm facing the same challenge this
summer. (One thing I'm looking into is putting our training materials
on-line, so I'd appreciate any thoughts in that area as well.)

Susan Dawkins
Academic Support Center
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
Johnstown, PA