Hello All,

A variation on this theme is well-received by our tutors.  During the
summer hiatus, experienced tutors are asked to e-mail their best tip for
new tutors to the manager of the Peer Tutoring Program.  Suggestions are
compiled and sent out to all new tutees.  Additionally, we have a
mentoring program whereby we pair new and experienced tutors who offer
some of the same subjects and who tutor some of the same hours in the
fall.  In late August we e-mail the list of mentor pairs to everyone and
encourage pairs to correspond before meeting.  Newbies can ask questions
and experienced tutors can offer advice and encouragement.  Then we
schedule a one hour mentoring period during the first few days of the
fall semester (when we have very little business) during which mentor
and mentee can meet and discuss the layout of the Center, filing
electronic professor reports, payroll requirements, and tutorial tips.
By the end of the first week, our new tutors have had an informal
orientation with their mentor as well as a one hour training with their
immediate supervisor/manager.  This process helps nervous newcomers and
refreshes the returnees.

Judy C. Villa
Assistant Director, Learning Center
Quinnipiac University
Hamden, CT 06518
Phone: (203) 582-5260  Fax: (203) 582-8970
E-mail: [log in to unmask]