Here's our take on it at a small, fairly selective liberal arts college: (in my director's words)

"Hmmm...I understood what he meant by "inability to manage learning" (which he explained), what I don't understand is what he meant by "inability to learn".  I'm not sure we accept anyone in this institutiion that has an "inability to learn".  If we thought that, we wouldn't accept them right?  I always figured it was the job of the admission office to accept students who could be successful academically (that's what they say they do with each and every student) and if they are not successful, it's because they didn't "manage their learning" so...I'll go with 100%."

Others in our student resource center agreed, putting the % at between 90-100%.

Great question.
susie

Suzanne Robertshaw, tutor coordinator
Johnson Student Resource Center (TJ's)
Rollins College   1000 Holt Ave. 2613
Winter Park, FL  32789   USA
"Good writing is clear thinking made visible." ~Bill Wheeler
(office) 407 646-2152   (fax) 407 646-2245
http://www.rollins.edu/tpj/tutoring   [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/15/2005 3:16 PM >>>

Greetings Learning Assistance Professionals,

I am compiling information for a resource I am working on. Your response to the following question is greatly appreciated.

What percentage of the academic problems of the students that you service are a result of an inability to manage their learning, as opposed to an inability to learn? (Keep in mind that by "manage their learning" I am referring to their ability to take responsibility for their learning, organize material in a productive manner, gauge and assess their learning ,and finally, detect and correct problems within their learning. I am not merely referring to time management.) Please estimate using the following percentages (feel free to expound on your answer as well).

* 25%
* 50%
* 75%
* 90%

Lastly, does anyone know any resources that speak to these issues?

Thanks for you time,

Leonard G. Geddes, Jr.
Director of Multicultural Student Services
& Student Success
Lenoir-Rhyne College
www.lrc.edu
(828) 328-7024