In thinking about this issue it seems difficult to measure the exact cause for attrition.  Knowing that learning difficulties have an 80% co-morbidity, who can say if it is academic or neurological in nature.  Unfortunately, most student's don't obtain precise testing to see what the bottom line is so we are at a loss.  Personally, it seems easier to state students who drop-out of college lack all of the skills you mentioned plus the divided focus between school and work.  Most of the students I work with are walking a narrow path with many pitfalls surrounding them.  All of this to say...I really hate to venture a guess as to the percentage of attrition attributed to effort or ability.

Pam Sawyer
Dallas County Community College District

Hey, Leonard.

I read in Tinto's book, Leaving College (1987) that nationally only 15%
of students leave college due to academic dismissal (51-52).  It's been
my experience that the great majority of the students I work with do
have the necessary brain power, but the inability to manage their
learning is the big problem.  I'd say 75 to 90%.  If I have to choose
one, I'll say 90%.

The best (by far) resource I've used for dealing with these issues is On
Course by Skip Downing: http://www.oncourseworkshop.com/

Hope this helps.

Tom

--