Hi Helene,

In case you don't already know it, a very nice paper is Karen Barkey &
Ronan van Rossem (1997) "Networks of contention: Villages and regional
structure in the seventeenth-century Ottoman empire", American Journal of
Sociology, 102: 1345-1382. This is an interesting combination of
historical sociology together with social networks analysis. The
relational structures are affiliation networks among villages arising from
court records. Blockmodeling is used in order to aggregate inter- and
intra-village relations. It is found that 'intermediate' villages (located
between market centers and remote communities) are structurally equivalent
(positioned in a discrete block) in terms of both relations of conflict
and cooperation. The authors identify much of the intercommunity conflict
as coming from a sort of 'contention' to 'state or market intervention'.
Furthermore, the authors argue that the differential impact of political
and economic trends on these communities (central, intermediate and
marginal communities) together with the triggered contention seem to
depend solely on positions in the network of intervillage relations
independently of village attributes. I guess this is a strong structural
claim but it appears that it is rightly grounded on the underlying data.
perhaps historians might dislike such a structural invariance claim.

In any case, I apologize if this paper was known to you (since there is
nothing else coming to my mind at least in the context of historical
network research).

Of course from the point of view of mathematical modeling and simulations
there is plenty of work but I don't know whether you're interested in hat
too.

--Moses

  M.A. Boudourides
  Associate Professor