To all hams interested in Emergency Communications for Hurricane Dennis:

Alachua County is activating the Emergency Operations Center to Level 1 (Full
Activation).  Amateur Radio Emergency Communications is coordinated by the
Emergency Support Function (ESF) 2 emergency coordinating officer.

We have been requested to provide a list of all amateurs who are available and
willing to participate in communications support.

There is 35% chance that our area could feel the impact of tropical storm force
winds as predicted this morning.  Refer to the National Hurricane Center
experimental product "Tropical Storm Wind Probability" located at:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

We also have about a 15% chance of the center of the storm passing within 75
miles of Alachua County.

WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO:

Please complete all necessary preparations, check your kits, charge your
batteries, and test your radios.  You may also want to fuel your vehicles.
Review your personal disaster/evacuation plan.

If you are willing and available for emergency communications, please contact
me with the following information:

Your name & callsign
When you are available
What support role you prefer (Shelter, EOC, Red Cross, etc.)
Contact information:  (phone #, cell phone#, pager #, email)
Indicate any certifications you have (ARECC Courses / NIMS )
List what type of equipment you have (hand held radio, portable base station,
battery power, portable antenna, etc.)

Some of you have already submitted copies of your certifications and I thank
you very much for that.  The deadline to turn in the NIMS certification has
been extended to July 29th.

For everyone who signs up on the "Dennis 2005" amateur support list, you will
be added to the official tracker request in the State EOC's registration
system.

We are putting everyone on "stand-by" at this time, but we need to know
availabilites and contact information in case shelter activation is required.

Keep your radios and scanners on the repeaters.  146.820 is having problems so
146.985 will be the primary repeater with 146.910 as backup.  Keep your
EMWIN pager on if you have one.

Please contact me if you have additional questions or to sign up for Hurricane
Dennis 2005 stand-by.

Jeff Capehart
RACES Officer, Alachua County Emergency Management
Home:  (352) 375-4386
Cell:  (352) 219-3901
Pager: (352) 412-0013
Email:  [log in to unmask]