* Next Ham Exam is in one week!

The next ham exam session in Gainesville will be 1 p.m. Saturday, August 6
in P- 144, Santa Fe Community College, 3000 NW 83 Street. For more
information or to register for an exam contact Warren Croke, NW4C at
[log in to unmask] or leave a message at 378-0935.

The Levy County Amateur Radio Emergency ServiceŽ will be conducting
Amateur Radio License Exams and ARECC Certification Exams on Saturday
August 13, at 9:00AM, in the Williston Community Center. The address is 50
NW Main Street, Williston, FL 32696. Seating is limited. Pre-registration
is required. Information/pre-registration, email [log in to unmask], or call
352-225-0200 prior to 12:00 noon, Aug 12th, 2005.

* NIMS / IS-700 - Today is the due date!

If you have an email or a certificate for passing the National Incident
Management System's course IS-700, please send me your email saying you
passed or send me a copy of your certificate.  Emergency Management ESF-2
Communications is creating a master database of contacts and the first
persons to be called will be those who have completed IS-700.  This is
required by the county because of FEMA requirements for responders to
emergencies.

* SPACE SHUTTLE LINK Active on 146.910

If you tuned in to the repeater for Discovery's launch, you may have
noticed the audio wasn't so great.  Turns out that's because Frances &
Jeanne bent our remote link antenna!  It was supposed to be facing
NorthEast, towards Jacksonville, but it was actually bent down and facing
nearly due West!  No wonder the audio was terrible.  The antenna was bent
back into position.  Mission audio should be available while Discovery is
in orbit.  Turn on with 61, turn off with 63.  The repeater will
automatically turn the link off after 30 minutes of no activity on the
repeater receiver.  (Identify once every 10 minutes to keep it alive.)

* ANTENNA PARTY Cancelled for this weekend

Due to likelihood of thunderstorms and rain tomorrow, the antenna party is
cancelled.  It may be several weeks before it is rescheduled.  However, if
anyone would like to take a shot at EchoLink, we have all the necessary
hardware at the station and it is just a matter of hooking it all up.
Email me if interested.   [log in to unmask]

* GARC sponsors Hurricane Program by National Weather Service

Members of GARC have pooled their resources to bring a special program to
UF!  Steve Letro, Meteorologist in Charge for the National Weather Service
in Jacksonville, FL, will be coming to Gainesville to give a presentation
on Hurricanes.  Allan Pither says it is an excellent program.  A room for
75 people has been reserved.  Mark your calendars!