Hello Socnetters!

Quite often I happen to meet the expression "new social networks"
especially in the context of the so-called "social software" (but also
more generally in the area of social informatics). Sometimes it is clear
that the newness here corresponds to a creation or expansion or
enhancement of really new social networks (compared to allegedly more
"stationary" older patterns of social relationships). However, I was
wondering whether those using the term "new social networks" conceive
a context or a frame of social networks superseding whatever is known in
traditional structural analysis. For instance, do they mean that there
is a "new structure" or/and "new opportunities" like a new social movement
compared to older and more traditional forms of collective action?

Best regards,

--Moses

  M.A. Boudourides
  Associate Professor