Dear Cami,
I devoted quite a lot of attention to this question in my keynote at the
2004 SUNBELT conference in Portoroz (What Binds Us When With Whom?
Content and Structure in Social Network Analysis. Extended version of
keynote at the SUNBELT XXIV International Social Network Conference,
Portoroz( (Slovenia), May 13, 2004). You can download the extended
version of my keynote from my website
(http://www.oprit.rug.nl/stokman/articles.htm).
Frans

Cami Ryan wrote:

>Dear Soc-Net Colleagues:
>
>Can anyone point to specific theories or studies wherein increased
>density is assumed to lead to increased output or improved performance?
>I assume that if one is studying communication networks that this
>assumption might hold.  In other cases, maybe not (I am thinking of the
>value of 'weak ties' and 'structural holes').
>
>Alternatively, has there been work done (comparatively speaking) to
>uncover 'optimal' densities as it relates to networks?
>
>Any help that you can offer in this would be great!
>
>Regards,
>Cami Ryan

=====================================
PLEASE, CHANGE MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK INTO:

Frans N. Stokman
Professor of Social Science Research Methodology
ICS
University of Groningen
Grote Rozenstraat 31
9712 TG Groningen