On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 02:31:26PM -0500, Shannon Clark wrote:
> Thanks. Pajek looks close to what I would need, however as I am looking
> at commercial - not non-commercial uses it may not be an option.

Commercial graph layout software is available, e.g., from yWorks
(www.yworks.com, see yFiles package), ILOG (www.ilog.com), and
Tom Sawyer Software (www.tomsawyer.com).

The yFiles feature an implementation of one of the recent multi-level
force-directed graph layout algorithms that can draw very large graphs
in seconds.

If you want to implement one yourself (non-trivial), this one is
of high quality:

 Stefan Hachul and Michael Jünger
 Drawing Large Graphs with a Potential-Field-Based Multilevel Algorithm
 Proc. 12th  Intl. Symp. Graph Drawing 2004
 Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 3383, pp. 285-
 Springer, 2005

 preprint: http://www.zaik.uni-koeln.de/~paper/preprints.html?show=zaik2004-472

A similar (though not quite as successful) method has recently been
included in Mathematica.

Regards,

B.