Hi Cami,

I have an empirical piece where we demonstrate an inverted U effect of
density on performance:
Oh, H., Chung, M-H., & Labianca, G.  (2004) “Group Social Capital and
Group Effectiveness:  The Role of Informal Socializing Ties.” Academy of
Management Journal, 47: 860-875.
and a theoretical piece:
Oh, H., Labianca, G., & Chung, M-H.  (forthcoming).  “A Multilevel Model
of Group Social Capital.”  Academy of Management Review. (Available on my
website -- see signature below for URL).

I would also refer you to Ray Reagans' work in this area:
Reagans R., & Zuckerman, E. W. 2001. Networks, diversity, and
productivity: The social capital of corporate R&D teams. Organization
Science, 12: 502-517.
Reagans, R., & McEvily, B.  2003.  Network structure and knowledge
transfer: The effects of cohesion and range. Administrative Science
Quarterly, 48: 240-267.
Good luck with your project,

Joe

Cami Ryan <[log in to unmask]> on Thursday, July 07, 2005 at 11:02 AM
-0500 wrote:

>Dear Soc-Net Colleagues:
>
>Can anyone point to specific theories or studies wherein increased
>density is assumed to lead to increased output or improved performance?
>I assume that if one is studying communication networks that this
>assumption might hold.  In other cases, maybe not (I am thinking of the
>value of 'weak ties' and 'structural holes').
>
>Alternatively, has there been work done (comparatively speaking) to
>uncover 'optimal' densities as it relates to networks?
>
>Any help that you can offer in this would be great!
>
>Regards,
>Cami Ryan

Giuseppe (Joe) Labianca
Assistant Professor of Organization and Management
Goizueta Business School
Emory University
1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322