I just ran across a rather interesting piece:

Fowler, James H. and Sangick Jeon. "The Authority of Supreme Court
Precedent: A Network Analysis."  where the citation network of *every*
Supreme Court case (30,288 majority opinions) are examined.

Most recent version of paper available at:

http://jhfowler.ucdavis.edu

ray