***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** When Richard Alba and I were testing his network drawing program [SOCK] in 1968 -- Yes, 1968 -- we were at Columbia's Bureau of Applied Social Research. We obtained card punch data for several well-known Bureau studies, including Coleman's Adolescent Society and attempted to compare the network drawing program (on an IBM 360 with a Stromberg Carlson plotter attached) with the published drawings. We were crestfallen when the published work did not match our machine drawn networks. Careful inspection showed that the same (mythical?) student who drew the picture had omitted, in all cases, at least one connection!