Hi there,

*An unanticipated use (by some) of "social networking"
*software

Of course, I'm not really sure if it's something so unexpected or
unanticipated as dystopian press are telling. I wrote a few days
ago something about it [1]. Sorry for those not reading spanish!

IMHO, that's just something we should expect when internet tools
for social networking really arrive at the everyday life, and
people start using the internet to do what they were doing without
getting connected: get in touch, meet new people, discuss about
some specific topics, offer drugs, ...? In fact, that things are
the key ones to conclude it is getting into our lives indeed, as
far as the same tools to make those deals where also the path to
get those guys caught.

The lesson for these kind of goals: if you knit so well your
network, it could also became your trap :-)

[1] http://www.zanadoria.com/2005/07/24/orkut-drogas-y-accion-
policial-realmente-es-algo-sorprendente/

Cheers,

Julio Meneses
Knowledge Society Program Ph D. Candidate.
Dept. Psychology and Educational Sciences.
The Open University of Catalonia
http://www.uoc.edu/

Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3 - UOC) Research Staff.
Project Internet Catalonia (PIC) - Schools on the Network Society
http://www.uoc.edu/in3/pic/