770-274-5242

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jon Steingass/AC/VCU
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Activities for teaching about learning styles

There is an excellent article in Learning to Think, Learning to Learn:
What the Science of Thinking and Learning Has to Offer Adult Education that
argues that no evidence on learning modalities that we often teach to our
students actually exists in mainstream cognitive psychology or educational
psychology.  Apparently, researchers have not been able to identify reasons
why these three things should be styles or reliable diagnostic tests that
diagnose a style or teaching methods that help any style to learn better.
We seem cling onto these types of activities because they are interesting
and easy concepts to teach.  However, there does not seem to be any basis
for them.  Does anyone know of any research that supports learning modality?

Jon Steingass
Associate Dean
College of Humanities & Sciences
Virginia Commonwealth University
(804) 828-1673 (office)
(804) 828-6048 (fax)

Kathryn VanWagoner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
09/27/2005 06:20 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Activities for teaching about learning styles

At a workshop at a local CRLA conference we played Guesstures, Taboo, and
Pictionary, each for a few minutes and discussed which we were more
comfortable with and connected the each game to a learning modality --
Pictionary/Visual, Taboo/Verbal, Guesstures/Kinesthetic.

>>> [log in to unmask] 9/27/2005 3:42 PM >>>
I'm going to be giving a workshop for most of our freshmen about Learning
Styles.  Please share any great interactive kinds of activities that you
have used in workshops or presentations about Learning Styles.

Thanks!

Becky Lambert, M.S., CRC
Director, Student Support Services
John Brown University