Thanks for the reminder, Beth.  Have a great semester yourself and I'll be
in touch,
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 12:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: College Reading Courses

Marcia,
I think this topic may have come up recently on the listserv, so you
may also want to check the archives.

Also, I teach courses at UC Berkeley (where some of your students may
be heading to) thatt incorporate a significant amount of work on
reading. If you'd like to discuss those courses, see my contact
information below.
Nic

>Dear Listers,
>

>A colleague and I are in the development stages of planning a college
>reading course for students reading at or above a 12th grade level.  We
>currently offer two levels of developmental reading which are
>recommended for students based on the placement test used at our
>community college.   A significant number of students who placed into
>our intermediate reading course (the higher of the two that we offer)
>scored at or above the 12th grade level when we administered the
>Nelson-Denny Reading Test Form G.  When we spoke to several of these
>students, they frequently reported perceived weakness in vocabulary
>and/or comprehension, despite their relatively high test scores.  This
>suggested the need for a reading course designed for students who are
>not at developmental levels but who need to learn the skills of
>effective college reading.
>

>If any of you currently offer such a course, we would be most
>appreciative if you would share your course outlines, resources, etc.
>Do your courses count for college credit?  If you are at a community
>college, is the course transferable?
>

>We are considering offering the course in an online format, so if you
>have had experience with this type of delivery system, your input would
>also be appreciated.  We don't want to reinvent the wheel, and we
>recognize the value of the Listserve as a resource into which we can
>tap.
>

>Please respond off list to [log in to unmask]
>

>Thanks,
>
>Marcia Krull
>
>Professor of Reading and English
>
>Mt. San Jacinto College
>
>1499 N. State St.
>
>San Jacinto, CA 92583

>web browser to

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

FALL 2005 OFFICE HOURS:
Drop-in: TBA
By Appointment: TBA

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

browser to