-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ray Sanchez
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 3:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ratio of Tutors to Students

Jim -

Does this 5 to 1 ratio mean that, for example, if 1000 students use the
walk-in lab that you hire 200 tutors (If so, my Tutorial Center could
use a loan :))? Or, does it mean that at any given time during normal
tutoring hours you try to have 1 tutor working for every 5 students.

Maybe we should be asking what the ratio of students to individual tutor
should be in a given tutoring session. That is, how many students should
the front desk send a calculus tutor?

(To complicate this further, what if this calculus tutor has four
students...should we also add a pre-calculus student to this group?)

Questions to consider:
1. Some subjects lend themselves to larger groups and some do not.
2. High-traffic times demand more available tutors whereas the opening
and closing hours may not.
3. Some students lend themselves to larger groups and some need
one-on-one help.
4. Space!
5. Triage tutor: having one or more highly versatile tutors available
that can help students in many subjects can provide at least some human
touch. The front desk can let a student know that there is no tutor in
Radiology or that the Radiology tutor is not scheduled at that time, BUT
there is a tutor who is hired that can see all students for general
questions and guidance. This tutor may have two other students in two
other subjects but an attempt will be made to provide assistance. This
is effective because college tutoring is more than content; it is also
study skills, etc.

I bring these questions up because all of these customer service,
practical, and preventive measures might alter our best practices ratio.

Ray M. Sanchez
Tutorial Center Coordinator
Fresno City College