Hello, All.

Birds are finally returning in numbers. Migrants
everywhere.

Just after we set the nets are sunrise I noticed a lot
of birds singing and calling in the trees and brush. I
decided to backtrack toward the back nets while the
rest of the crew headed back to the base tables.

Good move.

Right away, 3 Veery and 1 Swainson's Thrush hit the
nets. While I was extracting them, several other birds
got in the nets as well including Black and Warblers,
Common Yellow-throats and a Worm-eating Warbler.

Something larger hit the net behind me but managed to
avoid capture. All I saw was a large shadow heading
back out into the woods. By the time I headed toward
the table I had 12 bagged birds in my hands.

Nice start!

By the time I got back to the table they had already
banded a Northern Waterthrush and a Carolina Wren.

The day continued with more Yellow-throats and Veery
and we managed to get a White-eyed Vireo and a
Black-Throated Blue female.

Wrapping up the morning were a Brown-thrasher and a
couple of female American Redstarts.

That is more like it.

Also seen and heard: Blue Jay, Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Downey Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Barred Owl,
Black Vulture and a few Blue-grey Gnatcatchers.

Andrew Boyle
Orlando, FL