Most of you who will receive this know of Van Remsen of LSU, and of Gene and Shannon Knight, all of whom are long-time birders and contributors to the ornithological records and literature in the southeastern U.S. Impacted and wiped-out birders are the type of people usually giving aid to others, and some would never ask for help I suspect.
Lucy Duncan, Gulf Breeze, FL

Birding Group-to-Birder Katrina Relief

We are looking to link birders in LA and MS that have been "wiped out" in Hurricane Katrina with birding organizations who would be willing to "adopt" them and re-outfit them with birding gear---optics, books, etc. The birding group and the adoptee can decide whether the donation will be cash, birding gear or both. We need a person from these birding organizations to
be a primary contact between the organization and the adoptee. That way each group can work directly with an individual in need with minimum of bureaucracy and infrastructure. Here in Mississippi alone we have about 30 birders that now have only a "concrete slab" for a home and another 10 that had "major" damage to their homes. I have copied the adoption plan that Van Remsen has proposed in LA. If any birding group wants to "adopt" one of these birders either contact Van Remsen at [log in to unmask]  or Gene and Shannon Knight at [log in to unmask] . Anyone please feel free to forward this message to various groups all over the US and Canada.

This is it. Get a bird organization to adopt one of these "wiped out" birders. A  primary contact person representing the birding organization will get in touch with Van or me and we will get them in touch with a birder in need. That simple. This way the group and the birder can decide what to do, leaving us to carry on with more to-dos for other birders. Most are going to need books and some gear and some outside contact. This is so touchy with feelings and all. The birders we know personally that need gear are not wanting to relate much at all. We feel that they might not turn help down if it comes from other birders from out of their area. Gene and Shannon Knight