Good Eve,

We are presenting our current biogas project tomorrow on the lawn
outside of the Reitz.  Come out and support us and help promote a
symbiotic approach to living on earth.  Below is some information
concerning the project. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Gearing up for tomorrows campus sustainability day, on the Reitzs
lawn, from 10-2, we were able to decide on a presentable mixed
batch culture that has been nurtured and is indeed a gas producer.
 Just a reminder, this mixed culture is in a 10 liter vessel with
about 2 liters worth of head space.  It was started with a
combination of macerated potatoes and digested effluent from the
Dairy Research Unit.  The potatoes were characterized and it was
determined that the initial concentration of volatile solids (aka
usable carbon containing compounds) was too high causing the
mixture to become a bit acidic.  Since then it has been
neutralized by adding some sodium bicarbonate and has been fed a
variable diet.  As of right now a feedstock of soft fruit
(persimmons) collected at a local farm and water lettuce collected
from lake Alice is being used.  We will present our culture
tomorrow and demonstrate that the gas is evolving from the
mixture.  We will explain to those unfamiliar with anaerobic
digestion how the process works and how our natural resources and
organic wastes which we discard everyday can be put to better use.
 At this time I cannot tell you with any certainty how clean our
gas is (i.e. what percentage is composed of methane) but this
evening a small flare was established by connecting the gas tube
directly from the mixture to the bunsen burner.  I hope to see
alot of you out there tomorrow if you can spare a minute.  Talk
with me about gas volumes, the shop, possible future projects your
interested in starting (i.e. composting, nutrient management,
education, fermentation, gasification,...), and come and see
BEST's first of many mixed cultures.  Thanks to everyone who put a
hand in it and allow me to apologize for not corresponding enough
for those who have not been able to get involved yet.  Lets figure
some way that we can organize this thing and make it more
accessible.

~Mike