Both Steve Borgatti and Kathleen Carley, I believe, have done work on
degradation of networks "under attack", which I believe is relevant.  Also
there is a special issue, I believe, of the International Public Management
Journal on "The Control of Legal and Illegal Networks"-- you might want to
talk with Brint Milward, who was one of the people coordinating that.

chrs,

David

David Lazer
Associate Professor of Public Policy
Director
Program on Networked Governance
Kennedy School of Government
Harvard University

             Daniel.Schwartz@J
             US.GOV.ON.CA
             [log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]
             EDU                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/11/2005 03:43          Re: [SOCNET] Targeting critical
             PM                        nodes in criminal networks

             Please respond to
             Daniel.Schwartz@J
               US.GOV.ON.CA

Hi All,

I'm looking for persons with experience in, or knowledge about, using SNA
to target critical nodes in criminal networks.  For instance, given a
particular criminal network, with myriad connections between actors, I'd
like to use SNA to help determine which actor(s) should be targeted by law
enforcement to cause the most damage to the criminal network.  The basic
idea here would be target actors that provide the "most bang for the buck."

If anyone is aware of any papers on this topic, or if anyone has engaged in
this type of research, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!  Dan

Daniel Schwartz, Ph.D. (Political Science, University of Toronto)
Intelligence Analyst, Government of Ontario
ph: 416-679-2109
cell: 416-676-4956
fax: 416-679-2102
email:[log in to unmask]