As a frequent poster to Socnet, I am used to getting "Out of office"
autoreplies from some of the 1800+ list members.

But I started musing about their source today.

Almost all come from Europe, with more than half coming from .nl
(Netherlands).

The others are 2 corporate (1 big/1 small), and one US military (who gave
me her entire work schedule in an auto-reply -- she should be reported to Homeland
Security;-)

Anyway, I believe that there are national (Dutch), regional (Western
europe) and work milieu regularities into who bothers with autoreply.

Almost no North American academics -- the majority of this list -- that I
know bother.

 Barry