actually, i caught up with one of the founders today...personal
curiosity drives me mad, draws me into dialogue with the people
behind these mysterious sites...at any rate, the whole goal is quite
harmless, though the founders might consider a sale down the road -
at which point it does raise real concerns...they're pushing 17
million users, counting an average of 40k new members per day, puts
them on par with friendster by end of winter, and beyond myspace.com
by end of next year...

i'm going to write a much more detailed blog bit recapping my
interview with one of the two founders shortly over at
passingnotes.com, should be up within two days...
-dave

At 12:27 PM 10/26/2005, Valdis wrote:

>Also... Word-Of-Mouth, a.k.a. "Buzz Marketing" is real hot now... not
>only does this data base provide valid emails, but it reveals who is
>embedded in what network for WOM marketing.
>
>Take this data base and compare to a data base of doctors and
>BigPharma has what it needs to do their influence network marketing
>of new drugs to prescribing doctors.  Maps like this could be created
>ad infinitum...
>
>http://www.orgnet.com/KOL.html
>
>When you enter your data into "thenamesdatabase" they probably pick
>up your IP address, so they know where you are geographically.  If
>you do this at work, they know your employer.  If you do this from
>your favorite internet/WiFi cafe, they know where you hang out...
>building 2-mode networks here!
>
>Match this data base with "terrorist watch lists" and things get real
>interesting...
>
>I suspect the goal is to sell this data base to as many parties as
>possible.
>
>Valdis
>
>P.S.  I doubt their 16,000,000+ number...
>

>On Oct 26, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Valdis wrote:
>
>>What a great way for spammers to collect valid email addresses...
>>
>>Valdis
>>
>>On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:26 AM, David Carpe wrote:
>>
>>>stumbled onto this via a request to join - this firm collects
>>>information on people for 'networking purposes' but without any real
>>>user/member services beyond offering email contacts that are
>>>validated...each joining member must provide 4 unique email referrals
>>>to enter the site as well. already at 16 million users in a matter of
>>>months...speaks loads to the power of networks, but for what?
>>>
>>>any thoughts on what one might realistically do with a dbase of this
>>>nature? www.thenamesdatabase.com

David Carpe
Principal and Founder, Clew, LLC (http://www.clew.us)
E: [log in to unmask]
W: 781.674.2539
M: 781.883.5487
Skype: dcarpe

***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should
destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to
Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.