On behalf of Lynn Smith-Lovin

 Barry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:23:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: Lynn Smith-Lovin <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: social networks list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: ASA specialty areas?

Dear Barry (and others),
     Yes, almost every field has some problems with where it is
placed....the basic structure was an analysis (very nicely done, by Jim
Ennis) of where fields overlapped most in terms of co-membership (i.e.,
choice of both fields by the same reseacher).  I agree with everything
substantive that Barry has said, about the richness and basic insights of
network research....and about the wide range of methods that are
applicable to network analysis.  Any classification scheme has flaws: I'm
just happy to have social networks in the list.
     Cheers, Lynn

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Barry Wellman wrote:

> News comes slowly to the north country. We have to give those dog teams a
> rest break.
> So I belatedly am reading the Sept-Oct issue of the AmSocAssoc Footnotes
> in which 77 speciality areas are laid out.
> The good news is that Social Networks is one of them.
> The puzzling to bad news is that it is list under the Broad category of
> Quantitative Approaches (along with math soc, quant soc, stats and
> micro-computing).
> There are 2 reasons why this is bad:
> 1. Many social network analysts are qualitative, either ethnographic or
> archival.
> 2. We've spent 30+ years developing social network analysis as a
> fundamentally different theoretical approach. Methods are important to
> SNA, but only in service of theory.
> It would make more sense to me to put SNA in with the broad category of
> Theory, Knowledge, Science.
> Lynn Smith-Lovin and Jim Ennis were on the ASA committee that did this, so
> perhaps they can explain.
>
>  Barry
>
>   Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>   wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>   Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>   455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>            To network is to live; to live is to network

Lynn Smith-Lovin
Robert L. Wilson Professor of Arts and Sciences
Department of Sociology
Duke University
348A SOC/PSYCH Bldg
Box 90088