Note you say big problem
This should say big problem for US academics please remember there
are countries outside of the US without these constraints (yet!). I note
the question came from Canada (where it possibly may be different?)

On 11 Oct 2005 at 16:36, Sam Friedman wrote:

Date sent:              Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:36:38 -0400
Send reply to:          Sam Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Sam Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                BIG PROBLEM Re: [SOCNET] Targeting critical
nodes in criminal
                networks
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> ** High Priority **
>
> There is a potential major and real Institutional Review Board (Ethics
> Committee) problem here for any academic or other researcher.
> Furthermore, it is one that could "explode" and become a problem for
> all network researchers.
>
> This is the problem of third party consent.  In any research project,
> under the Belmont Code and other related codes, those about whom data
> is collected have the right of informed consent.  There has been a lot
> of discussion, including on this list serve, of how this issue could
> essentially shut down network research.
>
> The problem is that, in this research, data are being gathered about
> these "nodal" criminals in order to target them for punishment.  This
> is "doing harm" of a major kind--and without their consent.
>
> I think this requires serious discussion before any researcher gets
> involved with a project of the sort being described here.  It could
> have very serious consequences for all of us.
>
> best
> sam
>

> Sam Friedman
> National Development and Research Institutes
> 71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
> New York, NY 10010
> USA
> 1 212 845 4467
> Fax 1 917 438 0894

>             Paul Ormerod, the author of butterfly economics, has
> been working on the network structure of criminal groups. He
> has a website in which you can find a few of his working
> papers on the subject including "Scaling Behaviour in the
> Number of Criminal Acts Committed by Individuals". I hope that
> they would be helpful to your research.
>
> sincerely,
>
> Min
>

> Quoting "Schwartz, Daniel (JUS)" <[log in to unmask]>:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking for persons with experience in, or knowledge about,
> > using
> SNA to
> > target critical nodes in criminal networks.  For instance, given a
> particular
> > criminal network, with myriad connections between actors, I'd like
> use SNA
> > to help determine which actor(s) should be targeted by law
> enforcement to
> > cause the most damage to the criminal network.  The basic idea here
> would be
> > target actors that provide the "most bang for the buck."
> >
> > If anyone is aware of any papers on this topic, or if anyone has
> engaged in
> > this type of research, I would love to hear from you.
> >
> > Thanks!  Dan
> >
> > Daniel Schwartz, Ph.D. (Political Science, University of Toronto)
> > Intelligence Analyst, Government of Ontario ph: 416-679-2109 cell:
> > 416-676-4956 fax: 416-679-2102 email:[log in to unmask]

> --

Martin Everett
Marylebone Provost
University of Westminster
35 Marylebone Road
London NW1 5LS

Email [log in to unmask]
Tel +44(0)20 7911 5000 Ext 3183
Fax +44(0)20 7911 5051

only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you
must
not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action
based on
them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.