From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Charles Kadushin
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 6:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ASA specialty areas?

Also, Doug White and Ulla C. Johansen, Network Analysis and Ethnographic
Problems: Process Models of a Turkish Nomad Clan, Lexington Books, 2005.
Admittedly, both are card carrying anthropologists if you insist on these
distinctions. One of the intents of the social network field is to erase
these distinctions. The book uses deep ethnographic data to create new kinds
of kinship models. Not quite "quantitative" but more model making using new
forms of display. Kinship is a hallowed ground for the combination of
ethnography and model making  leading to theories of society (eg Levy
Strauss) since Morgan in the 19th century.

Barry Wellman wrote:

>good thouht. I don't have the time. But Janet Salaff and Chuck Tilly
>come to mind. See Tilly, Trust & Rule.
>
> Barry
>
>  Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>  Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>             To network is to live; to live is to network
>

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Michael Johnston wrote:
>

>>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:14:51 -0800
>>From: Michael Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: 'Barry Wellman' <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: RE: ASA specialty areas?
>>
>>Hi, Barry,
>>
>>Yes, I agree with you that SNA is more than quantitative methods.
>>But, for some reason qualitative work does not get much
recognition/support.

--

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies Visiting

212-865-4369

http://www.cmjs.org//