** High Priority **

There is a potential major and real Institutional Review Board (Ethics
Committee) problem here for any academic or other researcher.
Furthermore, it is one that could "explode" and become a problem for all
network researchers.

This is the problem of third party consent.  In any research project,
under the Belmont Code and other related codes, those about whom data is
collected have the right of informed consent.  There has been a lot of
discussion, including on this list serve, of how this issue could
essentially shut down network research.

The problem is that, in this research, data are being gathered about
these "nodal" criminals in order to target them for punishment.  This is
"doing harm" of a major kind--and without their consent.

I think this requires serious discussion before any researcher gets
involved with a project of the sort being described here.  It could have
very serious consequences for all of us.

best
sam

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467
Fax 1 917 438 0894

>>> Min Hein <[log in to unmask]> 10/11/2005 4:23:41 PM >>>

            Paul Ormerod, the author of butterfly economics, has
been working on the network structure of criminal groups. He
has a website in which you can find a few of his working
papers on the subject including "Scaling Behaviour in the
Number of Criminal Acts Committed by Individuals". I hope that
they would be helpful to your research.

sincerely,

Min

Quoting "Schwartz, Daniel (JUS)" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for persons with experience in, or knowledge about, using
SNA to