See also Social Networks, Vol 27, # 2. An entire issue is devoted to the
ethical problems of social network research, including the targeting of
individuals.

Sam Friedman wrote:

>** High Priority **
>
>There is a potential major and real Institutional Review Board (Ethics
>Committee) problem here for any academic or other researcher.
>Furthermore, it is one that could "explode" and become a problem for all
>network researchers.
>
>This is the problem of third party consent.  In any research project,
>under the Belmont Code and other related codes, those about whom data is
>collected have the right of informed consent.  There has been a lot of
>discussion, including on this list serve, of how this issue could
>essentially shut down network research.
>
>The problem is that, in this research, data are being gathered about
>these "nodal" criminals in order to target them for punishment.  This is
>"doing harm" of a major kind--and without their consent.
>
>I think this requires serious discussion before any researcher gets
>involved with a project of the sort being described here.  It could have
>very serious consequences for all of us.
>
>best
>sam
>

>Sam Friedman
>National Development and Research Institutes
>71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
>New York, NY 10010
>USA
>1 212 845 4467
>Fax 1 917 438 0894

>            Paul Ormerod, the author of butterfly economics, has
>been working on the network structure of criminal groups. He
>has a website in which you can find a few of his working
>papers on the subject including "Scaling Behaviour in the
>Number of Criminal Acts Committed by Individuals". I hope that
>they would be helpful to your research.
>
>sincerely,
>
>Min
>

>Quoting "Schwartz, Daniel (JUS)" <[log in to unmask]>:
>

>>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I'm looking for persons with experience in, or knowledge about, using
>>

>SNA to
>

>>target critical nodes in criminal networks.  For instance, given a
>>

>particular
>

>>criminal network, with myriad connections between actors, I'd like to
>>

>use SNA
>

>>to help determine which actor(s) should be targeted by law
>>

>enforcement to
>

>>cause the most damage to the criminal network.  The basic idea here
>>

>would be
>

>>target actors that provide the "most bang for the buck."
>>
>>If anyone is aware of any papers on this topic, or if anyone has
>>

>engaged in
>

>>this type of research, I would love to hear from you.
>>
>>Thanks!  Dan
>>
>>Daniel Schwartz, Ph.D. (Political Science, University of Toronto)
>>Intelligence Analyst, Government of Ontario
>>ph: 416-679-2109
>>cell: 416-676-4956
>>fax: 416-679-2102
>>email:[log in to unmask]

> [...]

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

212-865-4369

http://www.cmjs.org//