Thank you, and in some ways I agree that your efforts in pointing to
networks as important were useful and right on.

But IDUs are not "bottlenecks" in that sense; part of what you were
doing was more specific than that, and some others have tried to make it
more than I think you ever saw it as being.

Someday, someone is going to write a history of all this--and if we are
still around to read it, we will learn a lot about ourselves.  I just
hope that my work has helped save more lives than my mistakes have lost.

best
sam

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467
Fax 1 917 438 0894
>>> "Alden S. Klovdahl" <[log in to unmask]> 10/13/05 10:22 PM

> Klovdahl posed the bottleneck strategy for stopping HIV back in 1985.
> It has proven too hard to implement due to the issues Rich raised.
See
> also some of my writings.

sam - i think you are referring to the little example i have used
      for some time to illustrate how structure is something more
than the sum of individual, social relational or personal network
characteristics.

actually, you have to think sociologically here   : - )

what you have been doing - and doing so well - is focussing
precisely on relatively small groups that provided bridges
from those most likely to be infected with hiv to the general
population.

they can be seen as a 'bottleneck', and your work - and the
work of many others - shows that by focussing on these people
one can have a signficant impact on hiv spread.

that said, i don't think anyone would deny the need for multiple
approaches.

take care, al