I taught an undergraduate class in Family Communication where the
students had to do a Family SNA as their final project.  They had to
map out family/friends/school/work ties and the intersections amongst
all alters.  They were all hand drawn... about 50% of the students
used a concentric circle structure, the rest had an "emergent"
design.  The student was ego.

If Bart Simpson had been my student he might have turned in something
like this...
http://www.orgnet.com/simpsons.gif

;-)

Valdis