The co-membership is a typical social networks type of analysis. Shows
that quantitative analysis is not the whole story and that some
theoretical perspective is useful.

Barry Wellman wrote:

>On behalf of Lynn Smith-Lovin
>
> Barry
>
>  Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>  Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>             To network is to live; to live is to network

>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:23:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
>From: Lynn Smith-Lovin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: social networks list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: ASA specialty areas?
>
>Dear Barry (and others),
>     Yes, almost every field has some problems with where it is
>placed....the basic structure was an analysis (very nicely done, by Jim
>Ennis) of where fields overlapped most in terms of co-membership (i.e.,
>choice of both fields by the same reseacher).  I agree with everything
>substantive that Barry has said, about the richness and basic insights of
>network research....and about the wide range of methods that are
>applicable to network analysis.  Any classification scheme has flaws: I'm
>just happy to have social networks in the list.
>     Cheers, Lynn
>

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Barry Wellman wrote:
>

>>News comes slowly to the north country. We have to give those dog teams a
>>rest break.
>>So I belatedly am reading the Sept-Oct issue of the AmSocAssoc Footnotes
>>in which 77 speciality areas are laid out.
>>The good news is that Social Networks is one of them.
>>The puzzling to bad news is that it is list under the Broad category of
>>Quantitative Approaches (along with math soc, quant soc, stats and
>>micro-computing).
>>There are 2 reasons why this is bad:
>>1. Many social network analysts are qualitative, either ethnographic or
>>archival.
>>2. We've spent 30+ years developing social network analysis as a
>>fundamentally different theoretical approach. Methods are important to
>>SNA, but only in service of theory.
>>It would make more sense to me to put SNA in with the broad category of
>>Theory, Knowledge, Science.
>>Lynn Smith-Lovin and Jim Ennis were on the ASA committee that did this, so
>>perhaps they can explain.
>>
>> Barry
>>
>>  Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>>  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>>
>>  Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>>  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>>           To network is to live; to live is to network
>>

>Lynn Smith-Lovin
>Robert L. Wilson Professor of Arts and Sciences
>Department of Sociology
>Duke University
>348A SOC/PSYCH Bldg
>Box 90088
>Durham, NC 27708-0088
>919-660-5786

> [...]

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

212-865-4369

http://www.cmjs.org//