Also, Doug White and Ulla C. Johansen, Network Analysis and Ethnographic
Problems: Process Models of a Turkish Nomad Clan, Lexington Books, 2005.
Admittedly, both are card carrying anthropologists if you insist on
these distinctions. One of the intents of the social network field is to
erase these distinctions. The book uses deep ethnographic data to create
new kinds of kinship models. Not quite "quantitative" but more model
making using new forms of display. Kinship is a hallowed ground for the
combination of ethnography and model making  leading to theories of
society (eg Levy Strauss) since Morgan in the 19th century.

Barry Wellman wrote:

>good thouht. I don't have the time. But Janet Salaff and Chuck Tilly come
>to mind. See Tilly, Trust & Rule.
>
> Barry
>
>  Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>  Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>             To network is to live; to live is to network
>

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Michael Johnston wrote:
>

>>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:14:51 -0800
>>From: Michael Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: 'Barry Wellman' <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: RE: ASA specialty areas?
>>
>>Hi, Barry,
>>
>>Yes, I agree with you that SNA is more than quantitative methods.  But,
>>for some reason qualitative work does not get much recognition/support.
>>About a year ago, I posted an email asking soc-netters to recommend
>>qualitative social network research published after 1990.  Only one of
>>the four recommendations concerned an article based solely on
>>ethnographic methods:
>>Dominguez and Watkins.  2003.  Creating Networks for Survival and
>>Mobility: Social Capital Among African-American and Latin-American
>>Low-Income Mothers.  Social Problems 50(1):111-135.  (A couple cited
>>ethnographic work that helped to flesh out network analysis.)
>>
>>To bolster your claim that SNA deserves to be treated as a theoretical
>>orientation, not as a quantitative approach, can you recommend some
>>post-1990 ethnographic research that advances the field of social
>>network analysis?
>>
>>Hoping you're able to recommend several good pieces,
>>Michael

Charles Kadushin
Distinguished Scholar, Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies
Visiting Research Professor Sociology
Brandeis University

212-865-4369

http://www.cmjs.org//