there is a literature where folks have used social network analysis to
target "group", cheifly urban street gangs that matches with what you want
to do.

Kennedy, Braga and Piehl provides a boston example...

For my work in Los Angeles see:

George Tita, J. K. Riley and Peter Greenwood.  2003. “From Boston to Boyle
Heights: The Process and Prospects of a ‘Pulling Levers’ Strategy in a Los
Angeles Barrio” in Gangs, Youth Violence and Community Policing. Editor
Scott Decker.  Wadsworth Press: Belmont, MA.

George Tita, J. K. Riley, Greg Ridgeway, Clifford Grammich, Allan F.
Abrahamse and Peter Greenwood. 2004. Reducing Gun Violence: Results from
an Intervention in East Los Angeles.  RAND Press: Santa Monica, CA.

the most recent issue of "Criminology and Public Policy" has an individual
level analysis of a gang in Newark, NJ... Author is Jean McGloin...

g'luck!

g.

>             Paul Ormerod, the author of butterfly economics, has
> been working on the network structure of criminal groups. He
> has a website in which you can find a few of his working
> papers on the subject including "Scaling Behaviour in the
> Number of Criminal Acts Committed by Individuals". I hope that
> they would be helpful to your research.
>
> sincerely,
>
> Min
>

> Quoting "Schwartz, Daniel (JUS)" <[log in to unmask]>:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm looking for persons with experience in, or knowledge about, using
>> SNA to
>> target critical nodes in criminal networks.  For instance, given a
>> particular
>> criminal network, with myriad connections between actors, I'd like to
>> use SNA
>> to help determine which actor(s) should be targeted by law enforcement
>> cause the most damage to the criminal network.  The basic idea here
>> would be
>> target actors that provide the "most bang for the buck."
>>
>> If anyone is aware of any papers on this topic, or if anyone has engaged
>> in
>> this type of research, I would love to hear from you.
>>
>> Thanks!  Dan
>>
>> Daniel Schwartz, Ph.D. (Political Science, University of Toronto)
>> Intelligence Analyst, Government of Ontario
>> ph: 416-679-2109
>> cell: 416-676-4956
>> fax: 416-679-2102
>> email:[log in to unmask]