There are two overlapping groups of ecologists doing ecological network
analysis and food web analysis that may be of interest.

Bob Ulanowicz at Maryland is an important name for ecological network
analysis.  For food webs Neo Martinez and Jennifer Dunne are important.
The following have been published over the last few years including soc
net people as co-authors;

J.J. Luczkovich, S.P. Borgatti, J.C. Johnson, & M.G. Everett. "Defining
and Measuring Trophic Role Similarity in Food Webs Using Regular
Equivalence". The Journal of Theoretical Biology (2003) 220, 303-321.

J.J. Luczkovich, G.C. Ward, J.C. Johnson, R.C. Christian, D. Baird, H.
Neckles, and B. Rizzo. "Determining the Trophic Guilds of Fishes and
Macroinvertebrates in a Seagrass Food Web." Estuaries (2002) Vol. 25,
No. 6, p.1143-1164, December.

J.C. Johnson, S.P. Borgatti, J.J. Luczkovich, and M.G. Everette.
"Network Role Analysis in the Study of Food Webs: An Application of
Regular Role Coloration". The Journal of Social Structure Vol. 2, No. 3,
May 8, 2001.

R. R. Christian, D. Baird, J. J. Luczkovich, J. C. Johnson, U. Scharler,
and R. E. Ulanowicz   Role of Network Analysis in Comparative Ecosystem
Ecology of Estuaries.  In "Aquatic Food Webs: an Ecosystems Approach",
A. Belgrano, U. Scharler, J. Dunne, and R. E. Ulanowicz (eds.),  Oxford
University Press (2005) .

And we have recently presented papers at an ecology meeting bringing
some ideas from social network analysis to the study of ecological
networks:

J. C. Johnson, J. J. Luczkovich, and S. P. Borgatti. "A Continuous-Time
Markov Chain Model (SIENA) of the Seasonal Trophic Network Dynamics of
the Chesapeake Bay."Paper presented at the Estuarine Research Federation
Biennial Conference, Norfolk, VA, October 16-20, 2005.

J.J. Luczkovich1, J. C. Johnson, and S. P. Borgatti. "Visualization of
the seasonal trophic network dynamics of the Chesapeake Bay."  Paper
presented at the Estuarine Research Federation Biennial Conference,
Norfolk, VA, October 16-20, 2005.

There have been some recent attempts to tie ecosystem based management
to network ideas for both humans and critters. However, this is
basically in its infancy.

There was a perspectives piece in Science describing interactions
between social and ecological network types:

S. McMahon, K. Miller and J. Drake. 2001. "Networking Tips for Social
Scientists and Ecologists". August 31, VOL 293 PP1604-1605.

And one in Nature on cliques in food webs:

Krause et al. 2001. "Compartments revealed in food-web structures".
Nature 426:282-285.

There are yet others, particularly in Science and Nature, but those are
mostly concerned with the scale free nature of such systems.

Hope this is helpful.