Dear Edward,

I used Surveymonkey for my newest studies on classroom networks, because
it was cheap ($10 per month), easy to handle (you can design surveys
within the hour), and was useful for my type of network data. My network
items referred to friendships, hate, support, shared activities with
class mates. Students nominated classmates by numerical codes (see
description of articles on my website,
http://www.chrisbaerveldt.nl/pub.html ).

The lay out of the network questions is a bit awkward, because students
have to scroll to find all classmates. I am not sure whether it is a
useful instrument for your study, because the Survey Monkey instruments
are desigend for regular non-network surveys, and are not that flexible.

You might encounter some difficulties retrieving the data from
SurveyMonkey and putting it in a nice format (SPSS, Excel). The FAQ's of
Surveymonkey are of some help, but I had to write a procedure list for
the bachelor students carrying out my study. Alas, all is in Dutch.

Chris Baerveldt
http://www.chrisbaerveldt.nl/sciwor.html