Param,

Mailing lists as a whole are very difficult to
use as a proxy for communications within
a group, because of the huge amount of
interpersonal connections that happen
behind the scenes (private replies not on
the list, for instance) that are not captured
in the archives you have available to you.

This is more true on mailing lists than it
is on systems like Livejournal or most older
bulletin-board style tools where there is
not an easy one-click 'reply to sender'
button built into the interface.

I would hazard a guess that less than half
of most traffic surrounding a mailing list
is captured by any archive of it, the rest
happening off-list or in other interpersonal
media.  Indeed this is a source of divisiveness
on some groups & leads to mailing lists
dividing into two parts as the off-topic
communications gets more interesting
than the nominal on-topic discussion.

thanks

Ed

On 10/24/05, Param Singh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Socnettters,
> I am studying the Listservs as useful mediums for information exchange. Are
> there any network measures that could possiblly characterise how well the
> subscibers of a listserv are interconnected by using the email data? Could
> you please guide me to any references.
> Thanks in advance.
> Param
> Param Vir Singh
> Doctoral Student
> Management Science (IS)
> University of Washington Business School
> University of Washington, Seattle
> Phone: (206)-616-9705 Fax:(206)-543-3968
> http://students.washington.edu/psidhu

Edward Vielmetti in Ann Arbor, MI 48104
+1 734 276 5910

http://www.vacuumgroup.com