the information dynamics group at hp labs has also done work in this arena.
see:  http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/idl/results.html for some of the
relevant papers.

chrs,

david

David Lazer
Associate Professor of Public Policy
Director
Program on Networked Governance
Kennedy School of Government
Harvard University

             OM
             EDU                       [log in to unmask]
                                                                        cc

             11/16/2005 01:50
             PM

             [log in to unmask]         Re: [SOCNET] Inferring Management
                    OM                 Hierarchy from Email

from what i understand, both valdis krebs and stan wasserman (on this
list) have looked at the mining of email servers - there's some
information up at valdis' site (www.orgnet.com), of particular
interest: http://www.orgnet.com/email.html (specific to mining email)

hope this helps...i suspect you'll get some other detailed replies,
hopefully from these folks and others.
-dave

founder of www.clew.us
...and now wasting waaayyyy too much time on a zero-moola endeavor at
www.researchzilla.com

At 01:46 PM 11/16/2005, Chris Diehl wrote:

>Dear SOCNETers,
>
>I am interested in the problem of inferring the management hierarchy of an
>organization from observed email exchanges. Within the social network
>analysis domain, I'm curious what relevant research I should review. Any
>pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris
>
>Chris Diehl, Ph.D.
>System and Information Sciences Group
>Research and Technology Development Center
>Applied Physics Laboratory
>Johns Hopkins University
>
>443-778-3457 (Office)
>443-778-6904 (Fax)

David Carpe
Principal and Founder, Clew, LLC (http://www.clew.us)
E: [log in to unmask]
W: 781.674.2539
M: 781.883.5487
Skype: dcarpe

***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should
destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to
Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.