> I am looking for social network analysis and visualization software,
> preferably open source, to run on the UNIX/Linux platform(s). I have
> been looking at various software packages such as UCINET, Pajek, etc.,
> with limited luck: they are meant only for the Windows platforms
> (although they can theoretically run on Linux via WINE). Using WINE to
> run these programs caused several problems in their execution.

> Could anyone who has had experience using software for network analysis
> and visualization on any UNIX/Linux platform help me by providing links
> to such software?

Things to try:

R (with the gplot.* functions in the SNA package, in particular)
Ksociograma (there's a package of it in the debian distribution...)
Jung
graphviz (and kin - neato, dotty, et cetera)
SocNetV  (see http://nicomedia.math.upatras.gr/%7Eoxy/sna/index.htm)

I'm sure there is probably some sort of (more mathematical) graph analysis
or visualization tool in Octave, as well - maybe in the octave-forge kit.

there are others.  these are things you are likely to run across - some
more oriented toward power, some more oriented toward user-friendliness.

--elijah