Dear Rick,

A rich class of models are the actor-oriented models. Addition of new
actors is not a central point here, however. Basic papers on
actor-oriented models that also include statistical inference are the
following:

Snijders, T.A.B., Stochastic actor-oriented dynamic network analysis.
Journal of Mathematical Sociology, 21 (1996), 149-172.

Snijders, Tom A.B. (2001).  The statistical evaluation of social network
dynamics.
Pp. 361-395 in Sociological Methodology - 2001, edited by M.E. Sobel and
M.P. Becker. Boston and London: Basil Blackwell.

Snijders, Tom A.B. (2005). Models for Longitudinal Network Data.
Chapter 11 in P. Carrington, J. Scott, & S. Wasserman (Eds.), Models and
methods in social network analysis. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Steglich, C.E.G., Snijders, T.A.B. and Pearson, M. (2004). Dynamic
Networks and Behavior: Separating Selection from Influence.
Submitted for publication.
http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/snijders/SSP_total.pdf

One paper in this domain is about composition change of the network:

Huisman, Mark, and Snijders, Tom A.B., (2003).  Statistical analysis of
longitudinal network data with changing composition.
Sociological Methods & Research, 32, 253-287.

More information is at

http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/siena.html

Best wishes,

Tom Snijders