A number of people have been studying communities
      originating with Flickr, FaceBook, and so forth.

For example, check out danah boyd's post at Centrality
       (http://www.centralityjournal.com/archives/
the_facebook_building_on_preexisting_models.html )
       this past September.

She has done more work on such things that anyone I am aware of.

SW